John went to the store this morning. Our local grocery store did not have toilet paper – we aren’t out and he wasn’t going to buy it – he was just curious.
The health food store farther away in downtown had everything gluten free he wanted (baking mix to make homemade bread specifically). They also had dry beans, quinoa, and hominy which the local grocery store didn’t have. We are now set on those.
We made Mac and Cheese for lunch. No baking! Here’s the gist of what I did.
“French Onion Mac & Cheese” Sorry no pic, it was just mac & cheese in a pot.
- Boil the noodles in just enough water so that when they are done there is hardly any water left. I also added some beef Better than Bouillon to the water before cooking.
- While the noodles cooked, I caramelized 1/2 a large onion.
- I grated about 3 ounces of Gruyere cheese which we just happen to have in the frig and sparked this recipe.
- When noodles were done, I added a little bit of cornstarch to thicken the remaining water since we used gluten free noodles. I would think with regular noodles you wouldn’t need to do this.
- Mix the noodles, onions, cheese together with a splash of half and half.
- EAT! It was super YUMMY!!
Other happenings in our house:
- Barb’s shoulders are sore today from working in the yard yesterday
- finished another puzzle – I think it is time to move to reading for a while