So the last day of the school year is approaching (Barb has 3 more work days, John has 4) and we are taking off the very next day. Here is a list of stuff we are doing this weekend/week to prep the house for our extended absence, this year it will be about 8 weeks.
All of this makes the beginning of our next school year easier because all the 2nd “spring” cleaning/end-of-summer stuff is complete!
This year Barb gets all the last day at home stuff to do. Isn’t she the lucky one!?!
- An obvious one – wash the bed sheets on the last day at home. You will only have slept on them one night when you get home.
- Another obvious – wash the bath and kitchen towels after showering the night before we leave.
- Do all the normal cleaning stuff, unfortunately it happens earlier in the week this last week. You know the kind of stuff I’m talking about – vacuum, mop, dishes, dust, etc.
- Clean out the refrigerator – some of the stuff stays behind but most gets moved into the motorhome on the last day home. Wipe the shelves too. Put in a small amount of baking soda in a dish into frig.
- Wash the bedroom curtains during the last week.
- Deodorize the kitchen and bath drains on the last day home. I usually do this monthly but always before a long trip.
- Pour boiling water down the drain – usually a full pot worth.
- Make another batch of boiling water, add some vinegar; add baking soda just before pouring this one down the drain.
- Add vinegar to the toilet at the last minute before leaving to help decrease the formation of a hard water ring.
- Leave the washer door open after the last load is finished.
- Go around the house on the last day and unplug anything that can be. We leave the frig and stove plugged in. Just about everything else gets unplugged.
- Make sure every window has its extra lock in place.
- Usually last weekend home, John checks all the sprinklers. Sometimes you just don’t know one head isn’t quite right. He also modifies the watering duration for summer.
- Trim the iceplant along the front curb. Because of the extra summer watering, this stuff grows like crazy. It will easily be into the gutter when we return even when it is trimmed on the last weekend home.
- Last thing before leaving, turn off the main water valve for water going into house.
Is there anything you do special around the house to prep for an extended vacation??