I’ve updated our day numbers. We started isolation 2 days before the first blog post.
I haven’t left the house/yard since returning from dinner Friday 3/13.
On this day, I left for work and was dreading Friday the 13th at a middle school. We had already had RAIN (you know that wet stuff that occasionally falls from the sky in Southern California), FULL MOON, and DAYLIGHT SAVINGS! What more could happen??
Friday after lunch, everything changed. The county was shuttering all school at the end of the day until 4/6. By Tuesday morning, the closure was extended to 4/30. John found out his school was closing until 4/6 on the same day I found out 4/30. It wasn’t until Thursday that John received confirmation that his school was closing until 5/1.
I’m not sure if this is a positive or not, but we are not expected to provide specific lessons to the students. Because some students do not have internet access, we can’t assign anything we expect to have completed and turned in digitally. Some students have started the “assignments” I posted but not a majority by any stretch of the imagination. The district also feels this is a stressful enough event without adding parents trying to guide/teach as well.
So now we have to “entertain” ourselves for at least 6 weeks at home. Today we:
- did some yard work, we were out there for 2 hours! It was a beautiful morning here.
- contemplated what we will do for student semester grades IF we don’t return.
- Barb thinks we won’t go back
- John is optimistic we will.
- Can we just give a grade based on what they earned just before shutdown?
- Can the state just say “No Grades”? They’ve already said no state testing.
- AP tests will still be given during May. Not sure how this will look and how valid the test scores will be.
- completed another puzzle – we purchased this in Yellowstone National Park. It is OBVIOUS someone purchased it before us and returned it with broken pieces. Glad all the pieces were included. Would have been really annoyed if it had missing pieces.
- started another puzzle