On the decluttering front, we removed 6 items from the house. It seems silly to report this BUT we are finally accepting the idea that we are at a decluttering end point and will not count decluttered stuff next year.
Here are a few ways we’ve decreased the inflow of stuff:
- We filter/trash the minimal amount of mail the moment we remove it from the mail box. No more mail piling up to declutter later!
- We have transitioned to digital statements for most accounts.
- We are not saving the digital statements on the computer hard drive since most companies allow you to review at least a year’s worth online. And really, when was the last time you looked at that statement from 9 months ago?
- We no longer get magazine or newspaper subscriptions
- Barb uses the library instead of purchasing books
- We have gradually been spending less money on random stuff, really thinking about purchases before we make them.
- We have quit accepting “free” stuff.
- I decluttered the Halloween gifts (coffee mugs and decorations) from students by placing them in the staff lounge instead of bringing them home. Someone else is getting “joy” out of those items! All the things were gone by the next morning! WIN WIN